Thursday, June 12, 2008

Designing and soldering your own creations!

Ganoksin.com : ""

This is a website I found today that has a world of information! Unfortunately most of the info is directed to professional jewelry makers that use gold and diamonds! Not that I'm not professional but I am a far distance from making my own diamonds rings! What I did find there was tools! I discovered a soldering screen and a tripod! Now this may mean nothing to you and it meant nothing to me yesterday but TODAY it is the basis for a whole blog entry for making your own brooches etc...

Let me back up a little here...I made my first brooch about a year ago...I have a ton of findings, those metal pieces that are what they make jewelry from...here is an example...





I soldered together some findings and added glass cabochons and beads to make this brooch...



It was my first time ever creating and making a piece of jewelry! I knew I had the soldering down and wanted to take it to the next level...a brooch! So I put the findings down on a board, upside down and began to solder. What a pain! The findings were different heights and , as if that wasn't enough of a problem, they would move around when the heat hit them! It was awful trying to get them to stay in place! I used every idea I could think of including play-do! Yes, kiddie play-do that you can mold. I pressed a square block out and poked the prongs into it and tried soldering. The result was, the findings stayed in place but it burned the play-do onto them and what a mess!

My next effort was with a block of that green clay that you put fake flowers in...worse!

I decided what I needed was some sort of a metal mesh screen...like for the windows only bigger holes. Maybe a strainer from the kitchen? No holes too far apart...got stuck there for a while now...months.

Ok...so here is where that place with the tools comes in! They make a soldering screen and a thing to put it on so you can solder from under neath if you want! I don't think it is made for my intentions...but it is perfect for my intentions! I ordered it...here is what it looks like...


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us




Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



soooooo as soon as it arrives we can have a second lesson on making your own creation!! See you then!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool Blog! I wouldn't have thought of all the issues that would come up. I'm glad you are sharing all of this with us!